comments powered by Disqus
Fire destroys Nineveh homeby Keith Corcoran
Firefighters in Nineveh use a tool to rip at the exterior of a Lohnes Road house. The home was destroyed by fire October 12.
NINEVEH - At least one pet died but there were no other serious injuries as fire ripped through a two-storey home in this community west of New Germany.
The house, located off Lohnes Road, was destroyed October 12 in the mid-afternoon blaze.
Hemford, New Germany and North Queens volunteer fire departments responded with trucks and manpower. Firefighters remained at the scene for about five hours to ensure the flames were extinguished.
Hemford Fire Chief Gordon Hunter said he was unsure if a cause of the fire could be determined based on the amount of damage the home sustained.
The address, 66 Lohnes Road, is listed to Allen and Debbra Silver. Hemford fire officials say no one was home when the fire was discovered around 2:40 in the afternoon. They also weren't aware if the building or the contents had insurance coverage.
"It was a next-door neighbour that spotted it; smoke coming out of the upstairs windows," Chief Hunter said.
The fire is believed to have started in an area where a woodshed and the kitchen are located, Chief Hunter explained. The blaze quickly consumed the building's dry, older wood construction and, the chief suggested, the damage may have accelerated if a tank and lamp located in the vicinity contained propane and kerosene, respectively.
He said there had been an electrical fire at the residence many years ago which started in roughly the same area.
Another Hemford fire official said the Silvers have found other accommodations and are staying with family members. The fire is not considered suspicious.
posted on 10/19/10
Lifestyle | Comment | Young Readers
Social Notes | Letters | Features
Arts and Entertainment
In Brief | Court Report
Classifieds | Milestones