Living together without being married
Have you heard someone protest, "What's wrong with me living with my sweetheart without us being married? We're not hurting anybody?" To this person I want to reply, "You're wrong! You are hurting people."
For example, you're hurting:
1) GOD. He loves you and wants you to have the best. His guidance is put in the Ten Commandments, which include: "Thou shalt not commit adultery." These Commandments are wise rules, which if you follow will make you truly happy. But by your action you are despising them. You are as much as telling God that He is stupid, and that He doesn't care for you. How would you feel if you were a father or mother and one of your children told you that? Wouldn't you feel hurt?
2) YOUR PARENTS. Your parents probably had high expectations for you, but they are now being disappointed. And they are facing shame for what you are doing. People ask them, "Did you not bring your son or daughter to know better?" They are suffering grief.
3) OTHER PEOPLE. Your actions are contributing to the moral tone of the neighbourhood. By what you are doing you are lowering its ethical standards. You are setting a bad example for the children around you. And you are tempting young people - especially when they admire you for other things - to copy you.
4) YOUR PARTNER. You are leading him or her down a path that may not end with you. You are enticing that person to yield to the temptations of the body. And, by using this person for your own lusts, you are making them second-hand. And you are forming emotional bonds, which in the future will lead to bitterness or to remorse or regret.
5) YOURSELF. You are searing your conscience, weakening your will, smearing your soul, and putting yourself under the judgment of God. The day will come when you will be deeply sorry for what you insist on doing today. And if you should die before reaching that sorrow, your status would sadly be affected for all eternity.
Wake up, my friend! Don't say that you are doing nobody any harm. You are hurting everyone around you, and God above you, and yourself at the centre of it all. Stop! Either get married, or separate immediately! And ask God through Jesus to forgive you and help you to live by His holy will, which alone can make you truly happy!
|Jun 9, 1999|
News | Feature | Comment | Letters | Business | Sports
Social Notes | Lifestyle | Arts | Religion | Young Readers